DinnerDork [ \ˈdi-nər\\ˈdȯrk\ ]
This is one of my favorite recipes – so delicious that you won’t even miss the butter and eggs, plus you can add all kinds of yummy ingredients like fruit, coconut flakes, and nuts for a tasty twist. We’re getting ready to announce some exciting additions to the DinnerDork meal planning service and community – meal plans, recipes and more for vegetarian, vegan, pescetarian and light-living lifestyles! This scrumptious recipe is our way of priming your palette for these sweet DinnerDork additions.
Don’t be intimidated by the “vegan chocolate chips” this recipe calls for. Chocolate comes from the cocoa tree, so many chocolate chips sold in the grocery store are vegan by default. They can be processed into non-vegan forms by including things like milk, milk-fat and other additives, but many brands do not contain these additives. Some examples are Whole Foods brand chocolate chips and Trader Joe’s brand chocolate chips that are vegan friendly. Check out the ingredients panel of the semi-sweet and dark chocolate chip varieties at your local grocer – you’ll be surprised to find that many regularly labelled chocolate chips are in fact vegan friendly!
•1 tbsp cornstarch
•1/2 cup coconut oil
•1 cup brown sugar
•1/8 cup water
•1/8 cup almond milk (rice milk maybe substituted)
•1 tbsp vanilla extract
•1 tsp baking soda
•1 tsp baking powder
•1/2 tsp sea salt (ground)
•2 cup vegan chocolate chips
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 8 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick cooking spray
- Thoroughly mix all of your dry ingredients, except the flour and chocolate chips, into the coconut oil.
- Add vanilla extract, water and almond milk. Mix thoroughly.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time, until fully combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Use your hands or a tablespoon to form dough into small balls. Press dough balls onto cookie sheet, about 1″ apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before storing in an air-tight container. Enjoy these tasty treats and be sure to save some for friends!