DinnerDork [ \ˈdi-nər\\ˈdȯrk\ ]
A simply delicious summer dessert!
•1 1/2 cups almond or pecan shortbread cookies crushed for crust
•1/4 cup almonds slivered for crust
•1/3 cup butter melted for crust
•6 cups strawberries sliced
•1 cup sugar
•3 tbsp cornstarch
•1/3 cup water
•1/4 tsp salt
•1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare an 8″ pie plate with nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, combine: shortbread cookie crumbs, butter and almonds for crust.
- Press wet crust into the pie dish, covering the bottom and sides
- Pour the berry sauce over the berries in the pie.
- While the pie crust is baking, , mash 1 cup of strawberries in a small bowl.
- Add mashed berries, salt, sugar, water and cornstarch to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract. Set aside to cool, as it will thicken as it cools.
- Arrange the remaining strawberries slices inside of the pie crust.
- Cover with foil or wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Enjoy!